Chivas Regal is a world-famous Scotch blend which was first made in the early 20th century by Chivas Brothers. The company can trace its roots back to 1801, with the opening of a grocers at Number 13 King Street, Aberdeen. Selling luxury food, coffee and spices, it wasn't until half a century later that the company started to make whisky, and then not until post-US Prohibition that Chivas Regal 12 Year Old was first officially released. F. Paul Pacult described Chivas Regal 12 as "the blend for grown-ups", awarding it an impressive 9 out of 10. It's a very apt statement - this is a very refined blended whisky, with herbs, honey and fruit leaping forth on the palate. Regularly lauded by the critics, this is a superb blend in its price category, representing great value for money.
- Nose ~ A creamy, aromatic melange of vanilla custard, hints of aniseed, lemon curd and butter toffee. Wood shavings and dried banana chips develop with just a hint of cassis.
- Palate ~ More of those banana chips showing through on the palate, this time there's a creamy hit of barley malt too, pepped up with a little allspice. Notes of ground walnut and caramel.
- Finish ~ Light spice and black pepper on the tail. Lingering notes of cereal sweetness.
- Overall ~ A spicy, beautifully balanced blend. Lots going on here.
Silver ~ Scotch Whisky - Blended - 2019 ~ International Wine & Spirit Competition
- Silver ~ Blended Scotch between 12 and 20 years old - 2019 ~ International Spirits Challenge
- Gold ~ Blends under 12 years old - 2018 ~ The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business)